At New England Naturopathic Health, we seek to address the underlying causes of disease rather than manage pharmaceutical medications symptoms. This approach requires an individualized, functional approach to healthcare in which the patient is a collaborator and participant in their treatment. Functional health addresses the fundamental determinants of physical and mental health, including:
- Diagnostics: Assessment of underlying causes of chronic disease patterns through patient history and lab testing
- Nutrition: Establishing the nutrition plan that fits the individual
- Mood health: Addressing stressors, coping techniques, and working toward mental/emotional balance
- Endocrinology: Hormone balance, thyroid function, adrenal function
- Microbiome: Assessing populations of “friendly” and “unfriendly” microbes throughout the body
Understanding the unique factors affecting a person’s health requires time. Creating a treatment approach that will address the underlying causes of disease requires individualized attention and education. At New England Naturopathic Health, we understand that since no two people are the same, no two treatment plans can be the same.
We pride ourselves on taking the time to:
- Understand our patient’s individual health concerns
- Assess and discover the functional causes behind these health concerns
- Design an individualized functional treatment strategy
- Educate the patient about their symptoms, underlying causes and their proactive role in healing
- Monitor and adjust treatment strategies as needed
Functional Health Assessment begins with an Initial Consultation. During this 60-minute appointment, Our doctors will:
- Review your personal health history in-depth
- Perform a thorough physical exam
- Discuss and order Diagnostic Testing
- Educate you about your role in your healing process
- Prescribe any necessary lifestyle changes, nutritional supplements and/or medications
- Discuss prognosis and projected timeline for the healing process
- Answer any questions you may have
- Set a follow-up appointment to review Diagnostic Testing results and evaluate any treatment prescribed
Follow-up visits are for the purposes of reviewing laboratory results, answering and questions you may have and the evaluation and management of treatment strategies. Our doctors will determine your follow up schedule based on the severity of your symptoms, how proactive you are with lifestyle change and schedule of follow-up laboratory evaluations. Normally, follow-up visits are scheduled from one month to six months apart, with newer patients and patients with serious pathologies being seen more frequently.
NENH is often the last stop for patients who have seen many other practitioners and specialists looking to diagnose and treat their symptoms. It is both validating and empowering to discover the underlying causes of chronic illness. Depending on where an individual patient is in their health journey, they may have been given a diagnosis by a Conventional Medical Practitioner and started on treatment for the symptoms associated with that diagnosis.
Other patients may have received no diagnosis and have been told repeatedly that their symptoms are “all in your head” and offered psychiatric medications as a therapy. In either scenario, it is likely that the root causes of the symptoms have never been identified. There is no clear path to actual healing.
Until the profit-based healthcare system in the United States changes to a more preventive model, the model of “disease management” with pharmaceutical medications will continue to prevail. In the meantime, NENH and Functional Practitioners around the country will continue to collaborate with their patients to remove obstacles to cure and produce true healing outcomes.