If you’re like the majority of us, right around Thanksgiving you begin to make a lot of questionable decisions about your otherwise-healthy nutrition plan. If you’re not ready for a health tune-up yet, chances are you’ll be beyond ready by the time the last confetti falls at New Years. Year after year, January and February are the busiest months at New England Naturopathic Health, for the simple reason that after the holidays, self-care can and should go to the top of the list.
So, in order to help you have the best self-care possible to start 2017, NENH is rolling out a new spin on our traditional detox. Beyond Weight Loss will run from January 16th through February 24th, 2017 with a cost of just $99, which covers the supplement regimen for 6 weeks and on-line support through our own private Facebook group. For more information, read on.
Beyond Weight Loss is a gentle mind-body cleanse that targets the metabolic processes of the body. Those of you who are patients of NENH know that we believe that weight loss is a side effect of the body being in balance. So, while we NEVER focus exclusively on calories in/calories out, we do work hard to understand the reasons that the body is out-of-balance and remove obstacles to metabolic efficiency. Beyond Weight Loss is designed to lower levels of inflammation, normalize blood sugar and insulin secretion, “weed and feed” the gastrointestinal microbiome and generally remove the obstacles to “slow” metabolism.
Here’s how it works:
Lower levels of inflammation: Clean nutrition (especially after the holidays) rapidly decreases the activity of the immune system, which is responsible for creating inflammatory symptoms in the body and mind. When we lower inflammation, we reduce cortisol output, which translates to lower blood sugar levels, less abdominal fat storage and less carbohydrate and sugar cravings. Though there are some allowances in the program for whole grains, a small amount of dairy, starchy veggies and red wine, overall the nutrition plan consists of protein sources, beneficial fats and fiber from vegetables.
Normalize blood sugar and insulin secretion: for those of us with blood sugar concerns (which is most of us here in Central Maine), medications do not have to be the only solution for treating pre-Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome. In fact, I see everyday in my practice that carefully selecting types and timing of food works infinitely better than even insulin for controlling blood sugar levels. Intermittent fasting is absolutely the most essential part of the Beyond Weight Loss program and the only strategy I have seen in my 9 years of practice that works with stubbornly-slow metabolism. Intermittent fasting requires that participants fast for a minimum of 14 hours nightly, which is not hard with slow metabolism. Limiting food consumption to ten hours of the day and not snacking between meals limits the amount of insulin your body has to make on a day-to-day basis and makes the cells themselves more sensitive to insulin. Without as much insulin floating around, blood sugar levels improve, energy improves and (as with decreasing cortisol) the tendency to store fat in the abdomen decreases. We know this contradicts everything in the fitness community about how one has to eat every three hours to “feed” the metabolism, but let’s be honest, has this ever really worked for anyone? When the metabolism is slow, eating every three hours is like filling up your gas tank every five miles, eventually you have too much fuel which has to get stored somewhere, usually at the waist line.
Weed and feed the Gastrointestinal Microbiome
Few areas in weight-loss research have received as much attention recently as the microbiome. If this is something that interests you, there is much geeky literature to comb through, but here is a good place to start.
Lucky for us, we don’t have to dig through all of the science (unless you’re a nerd like Dr Corrie), we just have to understand a couple of theories:
- There are at least 100 trillion microorganisms that reside in each human body, the majority of them in the GI tract
- The “types” of bugs we carry around with us have an enormous impact on how much inflammation we produce, how our digestive system operates, how often we get sick and how rapidly (or slowly) our metabolism works
- We can “kill off” the “unfriendly” types of bugs by avoiding the foods that they thrive on (sugar and refined carbohydrates), not “grazing” on food throughout the day and encouraging bile output from the liver with Thorne’s Liver Cleanse, one of the required supplements
- We can “promote” the growth of “friendly” bugs by feeding them with gentle fiber from Xymogen’s OptiLean Fiber, which is taken with every meal, and encourage the growth of the population with Probiotics, also an essential daily feature of this weight loss program
Aside from the above, there are often micro-nutrient deficiencies that can contribute to slower metabolism. For this reason, as an additional feature to the Beyond Weight Loss program, NENH is offering Fat Burner injections containing the essential micronutrients to promote metabolism at the cellular level. The Fat Burner injection contains 5,000 mcg of Methyl-B12 and 1.5 ml of MIC (Methionine, Inositol and Choline), can be administered in the glut or the triceps and offers additional weight-loss support to your system.
Important: Let us be clear that the nutritional elements of Beyond Weight Loss are far more important than any other aspect of the program. Fat Burner injections are an encouraged, but not mandatory, part of the Beyond Weight Loss program. If you do not want to spend the money ($30-$35 weekly) or are unable to come to the office weekly, you are not at a disadvantage for your weight loss program and can still achieve the same results as other members who choose to receive injections.
So, no matter what Weight Watchers tells you, losing weight is far more complicated than calories in and calories out. Any weight loss plan that doesn’t attend to choosing anti-inflammatory foods, normalizing insulin and cortisol secretion and cleaning up the microbiome is unlikely to succeed in the long term.
Beyond Weight Loss is designed to be low-maintenance and sustainable for 6 weeks and beyond should you choose to continue. Many of the participants in the pilot group we ran in October have permanently implemented Intermittent Fasting as weight-loss strategy into their lives, as they have become believers! NENH offers the program at a very low price in order to make it available for all who want to participate. If you are interested in participating, please email us at [email protected] and we will add you to our notification list.
Here’s the rules:
- Official registration runs from January 9th to January 13th
- During registration week, you must come to the office to fill out your paperwork and pick up supplements
- If you are more than one hour driving distance from the office, you may participate remotely and we will send your supplements but paperwork MUST be completed prior to the start of the program so that NENH can determine your eligibility to participate
- You must have a Facebook account that you know how to access to participate in the Beyond Weight Loss support forum
- NENH will not provide tech support for your facebook account, so grab a millennial to help you out if you are not technologically inclined
- At the conclusion of the program, you will complete a questionnaire for data-collection purposes; your data will be kept confidential and will only be used anonymously for research purposes
- Though “Fat Burner” injections are not a required part of the program, should you choose to add these to your individual program, you must come to the office to have them administered and pay for them at the time of service (please note that the price of a “Fat Burner” injection is $35, unless it is administered during weekly Wednesday “Revitalization Happy Hour” when the price is $30; “Fat Burner” injections are not included in the $99 price of the Beyond Weight Loss Program)
We hope you can join our supportive community in January! Here’s to your healthiest you in 2017!